Ben Hartman, author of The Lean Farm, is the nation's leading expert on lean systems thinking applied to the farm, and Clay Bottom Farm is recognized internationally for its sustainable and profitable farming model. Join our growing list of students in our lean farm school online course.
What makes our course unique?
This is the only online farming course teaching the art and skill of farming using the lean system**, a Janpanese invention to reduce waste.
Your time is valuable so our courses are full of summary sheets and slides so you learn fast and have the info you need at your fingertips.
- To enter into farming as a career is no small decision. It involves a lot of risk and a lot of commitment--for the farmer and for family members. Success is about details and, yes, hard work. Our online courses and live workshops give you precise information--about spacings, varieties, timing, and must-have tools--so that you remove risk at the start of your farm career.
What others are saying
Ben leading workshops at Ray and Ashley Tyler's Rose Creek Farms in Selmer, TN, in 2017
Calendar of Events
Sept. 7-8, 2018, Lean Farm Design: 2-day Intensive Course at Clay Bottom Farm
Nov. 2-3, 2018, all-day workshop at keynote at the Spokane Farm and Food Expo, Spokane, WA
- Dec. 17, 7 pm Free Lean Crop Planning webinar (see above)
- Jan. 7, 2019, #britishflowers guest presenter for flowersfromthefarm.co.uk
- Jan. 18-21, Young Agrarians British Columbia, Canada, 2 days of workshops
- Jan. 25-26, Western Colorado Food and Farm Forum
- Feb. 1, 2019, 1-hour presentation for the Northern Indiana Grazing Conference, LaGrange, IN
- Feb 8-9, 2019, Georgia Organics, Atlanta, GA
- Feb. 15-16, 2019, all-day workshop and seminar at Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association, Dayton, OH
- Feb. 23-24, Eco-Farm Day in Cornwall or Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (pending)
- Mar. 1-4, 2019, Young Agrarians British Columbia, Canada (pending)
- Mar. 7-9, Back to Your Roots Conference, Louisiana Tech University, full day Masterclass
- Mar 16, NOFA New Hampshire, full day presenation and keynote.
- Mar 28, Alexandria, Louisiana, 5:30-8:30 presenation for Central Louisiana Economic Development Alliance (CLEDA)
Who we are...
Clay Bottom Farm is located in northern Indiana. The farm's owners, Ben Hartman and Rachel Hershberger, grow specialty vegetables on less than one acre of land, and the farm has twice won Edible Michiana's Reader's Choice Award.
Ben is the author of the The Lean Farm (winner of the Shingo Prize) and The Lean Farm Guide to Growing Vegetables, and in 2017 was appointed to the Grist 50, a list of emerging green leaders in the United States.