Ben Hartman, author of The Lean Farm, is the nation's leading expert on lean systems thinking applied to the farm, and Clay Bottom Farm is recognized internationally for its sustainable and profitable farming model. Our brand new online courses roll out Oct. 15, 2018. Join our mailing list below to stay in the know.
CLICK TO READ MORE ABOUT ONLINE COURSES. We are putting finishing touches on a new online course. Join our mailing list below to be the first to hear about special offers, free material, and the first round of sign-ups. Courses will roll out between Oct. 15 and Dec. 15.
What makes our courses unique?
First, our courses are uniquely practical, down to earth, and accessible. Our courses are not bankrolled. They are filmed by Rachel, and our kids run around in the background. While they might not be fancy, they give you top notch, comprehensive, pinpointed information about the cutting edge tools, techniques, and management practices Clay Bottom Farm uses to achieve high yields and high returns per square foot, year after year.
Second, they are the only online farming courses teaching the art and skill of farming using the lean system, a Janpanese invention to reduce waste and elevate value at the same time.
The courses include webinars with Ben to guide your learning one-on-one. The first cohort begins in October, 2018. There are also discussion forums and other community-building forums. The courses are about your success. Ben will put you and your unique goals at the center of your learning experience.
Your time is valuable so our courses are full of summary sheets and slides so you learn fast and have the info you need at your fingertips.
- Through ten years of farming we have what it takes to farm profitably--for the long haul. The courses and workshops transfer that knowledge to you. SAVE YEARS OF START-UP HASSLE AND WASTE, CROP LOSS, AND LOST MONEY. START YOUR FARM RIGHT WITH THE BEST INFORMATION AVAILABLE.
- To enter into farming as a career is no small decision. It involves a lot of risk and a lot of commitment--for the farmer and for family members. Success is about details and, yes, hard work. Our online courses and live workshops give you precise information--about spacings, varieties, timing, and must-have tools--so that you remove risk at the start of your farm career.
Who is The Lean Farm School for?
- Our Lean Farm Foundations mini-course is for any size and type of farm--from cattle rancher to microfarmer. It brings lean concepts like heijunka, muda, and kaizen to life, showing how any farm can apply lean thinking to boost profits with less work.
- Other courses are geared toward both beginning and advanced vegetable growers. They cover in detail our growing systems, and show how we've eliminated waste to earn a comfortable living from a one-acre plot. The courses don't replicate Ben's books. They build on them, add flesh to them, and go way beyond them.
THE ONLINE COURSES WILL ROLL OUT OCT. 15, 2018.
What others are saying
Ben leading workshops at Ray and Ashley Tyler's Rose Creek Farms in Selmer, TN, in 2017
Calendar of Events
Sept. 7-8, 2018, Lean Farm Design: 2-day Intensive Course at Clay Bottom Farm
Nov. 2-3, 2018, all-day workshop at keynote at the Spokane Farm and Food Expo, Spokane, WA
- Jan. 25-26, Western Colorado Food and Farm Forum
- Feb. 1, 2019, 1-hour presentation for the Northern Indiana Grazing Conference, LaGrange, IN
- Feb 8-9, 2019, Georgia Organics, Atlanta, GA
- Feb. 15-16, 2019, all-day workshop and seminar at Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association, Dayton, OH
- Feb. 23-24, Eco-Farm Day in Cornwall or Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (pending)
- Mar 16, NOFA New Hampshire, full day presenation and keynote.
- Mar 28, Alexandria, Louisiana, 5:30-8:30 presenation for Central Louisiana Economic Development Alliance (CLEDA)
Who we are...
Clay Bottom Farm is located in northern Indiana. The farm's owners, Ben Hartman and Rachel Hershberger, grow specialty vegetables on less than one acre of land, and the farm has twice won Edible Michiana's Reader's Choice Award.
Ben is the author of the The Lean Farm (winner of the Shingo Prize) and The Lean Farm Guide to Growing Vegetables, and in 2017 was appointed to the Grist 50, a list of emerging green leaders in the United States.